Wednesday 19 October 2016

On the Mat Day 760: Back to Wednesday Morning Training

I woke up really early this morning, felt really run down, then went back to sleep for about an hour to wake around 9 am. I told myself last night that I would go to class this morning and I did. K-sensei was teaching butterfly guard sweeps. This is something I feel I need to move on to. Butterfly guard is used a lot in MMA to restand or sweep but it's also a good guard for older guys who train straight BJJ because there is little force on the neck and the opponent cannot drive their weight down onto you so easily. I should start working on this guard soon.

In an effort to allow my neck to heal I did not spar and instead went to work on squatting. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 a week ago to improve my overall strength and strengthen my leg muscles to give more stabilization to my knee. My left meniscus has a tear but there is no pain right now. It is quite weak if I hindu squat deep or sit in seiza and move side to side. However, I can slowly feel that squatting is improving my knee stability.

Currently I am only lifting 57.5 kg on squats. For some reason I messed up how much an olympic bar weights and believing it to be only 10 kg, I though that I was squating 47.5 kg. I'm such an idiot. It's been something like 10 years since I squatted so I am taking it slowly and increasing 2.5 kg each time. My goals are to get strong and injury free/resistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment