Sunday 22 December 2013

On the Mat Day 444: Sunday Morning at 7 am

I went to bed rather too late last night at 1 am but still somehow managed to get up at 6.30 am and head to the dojo. Doing jiu-jitsu or for that matter any live combat sport really makes you good at coping with Resistance. When I saw "Resistance" I mean the type of voice in your head that tells you not to do things that are good for you as described in the War of Art by Steven Pressfield. It's a short book but it has made me realize when Resistance kicks in. It's 6.30 am, freezing cold, the dojo will be like a ice box, my body still aches from this week, I've only slept for 5 or so hours, I should stay in bed, I deserve it - that's Resistance.

6 of us in total turned up so the numbers were great for drilling in pairs. I just kept going for the full 2 hours. Every 3 minutes we take turns to do the techniques we want to work on. I did a lot of different things just mostly techniques I'm interested in using and also spots where I've had problems during sparring and trying to figure out the best thing to do. I think this is the way to go for improvement. For the last 4 years all I've done is learn technique and spar, there has been no middle ground. This early morning training is really helping me to change gear and polish some weak areas while improving on my best techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment